Smoked Mashed Potatoes

A Grill, sides post written by on November 20, 2013

Tags: ,

If you were around these parts last year, you might have seen my crazy 7 Days of Thanksgiving posts, which featured a smoky sunchoke mash – which, I must add, was and is still an autumn favorite. However, on Thanksgiving, I got a chance to use the grill to actually apply real smoke to some potatoes, and this is what I decided: Mashed Potatoes are Best When Smoked.

Thanksgiving, a time to experiment! – said no one ever.

So here’s a little background on what actually happened. A few hours before Thanksgiving dinner we were scrambling to see who would make mashed potatoes, so naturally, a few people volunteered, including myself. Let’s just say that no smoky mashed potatoes were left after about 30 minutes, unlike the other plain stuff with bacon or chicken stuff that filled up our fridge for weeks. Unmentionables, really.

Smoked Mashed PotatoesIMG_7049

So, I’m going to make this a very quick how-to in a few sentences because it’s very very simple, and if I finish and post this, I can work on that chestnut pot de creme recipe I’ve been putting off.

How to Make Smoked Mash Potatoes

smoking chips

potatoes

heavy cream/whole milk (at least 1/2 c. per 4 pound of potatoes)

butter

salt

pepper

chopped chives

+ Depending on your personal preferences, have some milk or butter handy. I typically use heavy cream and butter, but you can make this vegan by omitting that and using veggie stock and oil.

+ Prepare a cool grill – the cooler it is, the better for smoking, though you do need enough heat to evaporate the smoking chips. Soak some wood chips in water.

+ Start by scrubbing your potatoes and steaming until they crack open. Then, place wet wood chips into your grill and let it steam the grill. Place potatoes in for no longer than 20 minutes, then remove.

+ Rehydrate the potatoes in their skin with milk/cream and melted butter on low heat in a covered pot. This will allow it to get soft and moist, despite getting smoked. Depending on the heat of your grill, you may need to use stock to lengthen the potatoes’ time on the stove. Everything should be falling apart at the touch of a fork.

+ Then, use a food mill or hand blender to whip up the potatoes. A ricer generally will give you the softest airiest result.

Back to Main Content

10 Responses to “Smoked Mashed Potatoes”

1. This is such a unique take on mashed potatoes! I love it — and your photography is gorgeous, as usual. (I feel like mashed potatoes are such a challenge to photograph, and you’ve done it beautifully!)

• phi says:

Thank you so much!! I was thinking about the mashed potato challenge as being a great food blogging exercise… it looks a lot harder than it was.

2. Erika says:

Your photos are SO beautiful!! And this sounds like an ingenious method of making mashed potatoes. I just tried steaming my potatoes the other day instead of boiling them and that was supposed to be the *best* way ever, but this sounds like it is seriously promising! Lovely to find another “princess” blogger 🙂

3. Erika says:

Lol just read your about page and I see that the princess part is the name of a dish….well, I will have to try that sometime. Also, I’m originally from near SF! And I love Paris! Can’t wait to read more of your blog. Asian + Parisian flair sounds delicious!

• phi says:

Hi Erika, aka Princess of Pancakes!

You might enjoy this little tidbit about my ‘princess’ lifestyle – when I decided on my blog name, I insisted that I date a Prince so I told my boyfriend he had to be a prince or it was over. Naturally, I was very persuasive, so for at least a few months he was a Prince, if only on Facebook. He’s gone back to having a really boring name, which pains my princess heart. Us princesses have to stick together if there’s going to be magic and fairy dust to spread around, which, I think, there ought to be considering the lack of magic in the world of foods.

4. HSURIART says:

This sounds delicious! Can you let me know how much butter/heavy milk you used and how many pounds of potatoes?

• phi says:

Hi there!

I hesitate to name the amount because I use different amounts depending on the potatoes, the weather, and if I am feeling particularly hungry (more butter or sliced scallions or horseradish or parsnips or sunchokes). Further, I’ve discovered that I never have the exact pound of potatoes so I just win it. No matter what, it should be to your own personal taste, and let me tell you, everyone’s preference for mashed potatoes is different, so your’s is just as good.

I generally will start with a 1/4 c. of heavy cream (room temperature) for 2 pounds of russet potatoes. Depending on your affinity for butter, start with 2 TB (room temperature) of butter. After I mash the potatoes, I will gently fold in more butter to make it creamier and add more cream to make it wetter. Since that generally adds more sweetness, I salt at the very end. Some people opt to use sour cream instead of whipped cream or cream fraiche for potatoes – all are fine, but start with a little and add more as you mash for consistency. Just be careful to not over mix or it will turn to glue.

5. Erika says: